The OMA SAP is a comprehensive, self-exam printed book containing 261 questions of multiple choice and matching questions regarding the science and clinical aspects of obesity. The set of questions is followed by detailed critiques of each answer. The intent is to facilitate self-study, help prepare you for specialty exams, and enhance your understanding of obesity medicine with the goal of improving patient care. The SAP Vol 1 was designed by ABOM certified obesity medicine expert clinicians and is intended to be a practical and educational resource.
About the Self-Assessment Program (SAP)
The SAP is complementary to other sources of education on the disease of obesity, such as the OMA Obesity Algorithm®, Pediatric Obesity Algorithm®, OMA’s American Board of Obesity Medicine review course, OMA webinars and podcasts, and OMA conferences held throughout the year.
The intent of the SAP is to facilitate your self-study, help prepare you for specialty exams, prepare you for other recognitions in the field of obesity medicine, provide you continuing medical education credits, and enhance your understanding of obesity medicine.
Through answering questions and reviewing the critiques, the SAP provides you an objective measure of your knowledge in obesity medicine. The questions, answers, and discussion allow you to identify areas wherein you may benefit from further study. The content of this SAP includes the following objectives:
- Have a working knowledge of basic concepts regarding the disease of obesity
- Diagnose and evaluate obesity
- Manage and treat obesity through interventions such as behavior therapy, nutritional intervention, physical activity, pharmacotherapy, and surgical procedures
- Understand concepts related to obesity and pediatrics
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I receive Continuing Medical Education Credits (CME) for completing the SAP?
Once you have completed the printed book questions, you can claim 9 hours of AMA PRE Category 1 Credits™ CME. You will be able to claim credit until 2023.
How do I claim my credit?
Please follow these instructions to claim your credit:
1. Log in to your account using your email address and password. If you have never logged in before, or if you forgot your password, click “Forgot your password”, then you will be prompted to enter your email address. An email will be sent that will allow you to reset your account login information.
2. Click on My Courses from the menu on the right. (If you are using a phone or tablet, this menu may appear at the bottom.)
3. Select the course: Self-Assessment Program – Volume 1
4. Click the Submit Credit button near the top of the page.
5. Complete the evaluation and post-test.
6. Confirm that the amount of credit and date are correct.
7. Click the Process Credit button.
You will be redirected to the My CME Credit page. Scroll down to the section titled Submitted Credit and click View Obesity Medicine Association Certificate. You may download and save this document, or you can always access it on the Obesity Medicine Academy under My CME Credit.
Can I use the SAP to prepare for the American Board of Obesity Medicine (ABOM) exam?
Yes. The SAP follows the broad categories of the ABOM rubric of Basic Concepts, Diagnosis and Evaluation, Treatment, Practice Management and Pediatrics. The SAP complements other sources of education on the disease of obesity.
What is the focus of the SAP?
One intent of the SAP is a preparatory resource for specialty exams. It is therefore necessary the SAP cover some topics in detail, in an organized way perhaps not available elsewhere. The emphasis of the SAP is to examine broad mechanisms and rationale behind common procedures and tasks conducted by an obesity medicine clinician.
Does the SAP include a section on pediatrics?
Purchase the printed SAP
Purchase the full-color print copy of the SAP, which serves as a great reference and study tool to sharpen your clinical knowledge of treating obesity.
Member Price: $199
Non-member Price: $299