OMA is not currently accepting applications to become a Fellow of OMA. The next enrollment period will begin March 26, 2017.
The Highest Honor of Membership
During the spring and fall enrollment periods, members of the Obesity Medicine Association can apply to become Fellows of OMA. Becoming a Fellow is one of the highest honors bestowed upon members who demonstrate dedication and commitment to the clinical treatment of obesity and obesity-related diseases.
Fellows of OMA may use the designation, FOMA, which identifies them as someone who is passionate about the field and continues to seek new ways to treat obesity effectively. The designation also allows them to stand out among their colleagues and show their pride in being a dedicated member of OMA. See the list of members who are already Fellows of OMA.
“Being a Fellow of OMA is a great honor for those who have served this organization and signifies to our colleagues and patients our respect for the field of obesity medicine.”
– William McCarthy, MD, FOMA
Fellow of OMA Requirements
Candidates must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Must be a current physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or retired member of OMA
- Must have been a member of OMA for at least five years
- Must have earned at least 75 CME hours through OMA in the last five years
- Must be actively involved in at least one committee for at least two years
Candidates must meet TWO or more of the following requirements:
- Must be a current Diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine
- Must have served as a mentor in the mentorship program
- Must receive written letters of recommendation from two board members*
- Must have presented at a conference
- Must have served as a chairperson on a committee
A one-time, non-refundable fee is due at the time of application. Submitting an application does not guarantee Fellow status. Applications will be reviewed, and approved applicants will be recognized and honored annually.
Maintaining the Fellow Designation
Those who have been awarded the Fellow designation may use FOMA after their name. In order to maintain the designation, Fellows must:
- Maintain their membership in OMA and remain in good standing
- Earn a minimum of 15 CME hours through OMA each year
*Log in and access your member resources for a template recommendation letter.