The Fundamentals of Obesity Treatment Course is a one-day course offering introductory education about the evidence-based approaches for evaluating, diagnosing, and treating obesity in a clinical setting. The content is appropriate for physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, clinicians-in-training, and other health care professionals. Participants will gain a general understanding of why obesity is a disease and what treatment options are available.
The Fundamentals of Obesity Treatment Course is worth 6 CME/CE credits and 6 Medical Knowledge MOC points in the ABIM MOC program.
2019 Course Dates and Cities
Click on the boxes below to register for a course or view more details about the speakers and venues for each course.
October 19 | San Francisco, CA
Lydia Alexander, MD, FOMA, and Inge Ferguson, DO, FACOI, FOMA
This course is worth up to 6 CME/CE credits and 6 Medical Knowledge MOC points in the ABIM MOC program.
Before September 28: $220
After September 28: $249
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman’s Wharf
1250 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133
Course: Golden Gate Ballroom
Exhibit Hall: St. Helena
Click here to reserve a room at the San Francisco Marriott Fisherman’s Wharf by September 27 to take advantage of the special rate of $239 per night (plus tax). (Rate subject to availability at the hotel.)
Can't attend in person? Purchase the online recordings!
Richard Lindquist, M.D., Dipl. ABOM, FAASP, FOMA, Ethan Lazarus MD, FOMA, Dipl. ABOM, Karlijn Burridge, PA-C, Nicholas Pennings DO, FOMA, Dipl. ABOM, Fatima Cody Stanford MD, MPH, MPA, FAAP, FACP, FTOS, Dipl. ABOM
This course is worth up to 5 CME/CE credits
Member price: $100
Non-member price: $120
What's New at the 2019 Obesity Treatment Course?
- Case studies and real-life examples of effectiveness of obesity treatment
- Expanded focus on the causes of obesity
- Deeper dive into behavioral treatment options
- Understand why obesity is a disease and not a lifestyle choice.
- See how you can help your patients achieve better overall health.
- Recognize the physical and metabolic consequences of obesity.
- Gain tools to effectively assess patients with obesity.
- Understand the importance of long-term treatment for patients with obesity.
- Get introduced to the four pillars of clinical obesity treatment: nutrition, physical activity, behavior, and medication.
- Learn how to identify factors that may prevent patients from losing weight.
7:45-7:55 AM | Registration
7:55-8:00 AM | Welcome
8:00-9:00 AM | Understanding the Chronic Disease of Obesity
Understand obesity as a chronic disease state and its impact on health. Learn about adiposopathy (sick fat) and how it leads to other medical complications. Interact more confidently and appropriately with patients in regards to their weight and obesity-related conditions and learn how to perform a comprehensive evaluation of patients with obesity in a primary care setting.
9:00-10:00 AM | Nutrition
Review the various dietary and nutritional plans that are scientifically proven to help with weight loss.
10:00-10:30 AM | Break
10:30-11:15 AM | Physical Activity
Understand the benefits of physical activity and the components of an exercise prescription.
11:15-11:45 AM | Q&A
11:45 AM-1:15 PM | Lunch*
*Lunch provided for registered attendees.
1:15-2:00 PM | Behavior
Understand the role of behavior and the impact of environment in obesity treatment. Become familiar with the fundamentals of available tools that promote sustainable behavior modification.
2:00-3:15 PM | Medication
Discover how anti-obesity medications fit into a comprehensive and individualized treatment plan. Review the medications that are currently available and their basic mechanisms.
3:15-3:30 PM | Break
3:30-4:00 PM | Casework
Apply concepts learned throughout the day in a case designed to help providers understand the interrelationship of dynamic obesity treatment plans
4:00-4:15 PM | Q&A
- The Obesity Medicine Association (OMA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. OMA designates each live Fundamentals of Obesity Treatment activity for a maximum of 6 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 6 Medical Knowledge MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
- This Live activity, Fundamentals of Obesity Treatment, from 02/02/2019 - 10/19/2019, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 6.00 Prescribed credit(s) by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- These live activities are approved for up to 6 AOA CME each under Category 1-A. The Obesity Medicine Association is an approved provider by the American Osteopathic Association for Category 1-A CME.
Interested in Exhibiting?
Call 303-770-2526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.