Motivational Interviewing in Obesity Treatment
Date and Time: April 2, 1:15-4:45 PM
Accreditation: 3.25 CME/CE
Speaker: David Macklin, MD, CCFP
Knowledge, direction, or persuasion are often ineffective in helping patients make lifestyle changes. Motivational interviewing utilizes patient-centered engagement and goal-setting in line with the patient’s objectives. The session is intended to enhance your knowledge and skills in the application of motivational interviewing for patients with obesity.
- Identify the core components of motivational interviewing.
- Employ motivational interviewing techniques with patients at different stages of change.
- Apply strategies to evoke and strengthen change talk in patients and formulate effective responses.
- Establish SMART goals in collaboration with patients to facilitate behavior change.
- Utilize acceptance-based behavioral treatment (ABT) strategies to facilitate patient commitment to behavioral modification plans.